Install WSUS on existing SMS 2003 server
Rich
2009-04-21 14:41:03 UTC
I have a working SMS 2003 server, which I'd like to keep working. What I'd
like to do is also install WSUS 3 on this server, to save a ton of time
deploying just Windows and Office updates via WSUS/Automatic Updates. I
still need SMS for the reporting and for pushing out other software. Has
anyone installed WSUS on an SMS server? any problems or things i should
watch out for? i really don't want to break my working SMS in the process.
thanks!!

Systems Management Server
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005
Version: 2.50.4160.2000
Garth Jones
Version: 2.50.4160.2000
Qra
2009-04-24 16:38:10 UTC
Post by Rich
I have a working SMS 2003 server, which I'd like to keep working. What I'd
like to do is also install WSUS 3 on this server, to save a ton of time
deploying just Windows and Office updates via WSUS/Automatic Updates. I
still need SMS for the reporting and for pushing out other software. Has
anyone installed WSUS on an SMS server? any problems or things i should
watch out for? i really don't want to break my working SMS in the process.
thanks!!
Systems Management Server
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005
Version: 2.50.4160.2000
I have installed SMS2003+WSUS on Windows 2003 Standard Server,
which is also AD controller.
It was long time ago so i cant told details, but i dont remember any problems.

Make good backup and good luck.
If any problems wrote to group.
Qra
Qra
2009-04-24 16:52:45 UTC
Post by Qra
Post by Rich
I have a working SMS 2003 server, which I'd like to keep working. What I'd
like to do is also install WSUS 3 on this server, to save a ton of time
deploying just Windows and Office updates via WSUS/Automatic Updates. I
still need SMS for the reporting and for pushing out other software. Has
anyone installed WSUS on an SMS server? any problems or things i should
watch out for? i really don't want to break my working SMS in the process.
thanks!!
Systems Management Server
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2005
Version: 2.50.4160.2000
I have installed SMS2003+WSUS on Windows 2003 Standard Server,
which is also AD controller.
It was long time ago so i cant told details, but i dont remember any problems.
Make good backup and good luck.
If any problems wrote to group.
I just remembered, something strange happened to iis app pools or web sites
after update to WSUS3.
--
Qra